Instead of obsessively refreshing the New York Times homepage this past week hoping beyond hope that Trump will finally say or do something so scandalous that the entire world will agree to a re-do or simply put Bernie in his place, I tried to focus my attention on the inspiring stories and motivating pieces I come across on the Internets (think adventure inspiring films, reflecting encouraging podcasts, and cute puppy photos). Here are my favorites from the past week:
- This film will make you call your dad. After finishing When Breath Becomes Air and sobbing uncontrollably for a good 15 minutes, I browsed the 5Point Film Festival films for something to lift my spirits choosing The Important Places, which then made me bawl my eyes out again.
- Having felt especially groundless last week, I was drawn to the Hidden Brain podcast’s episode – Getting Unstuck. The episode addresses the idea of “Design Thinking,” a different way of approaching the question of what you should be doing with your life. Some cool takeaways!
- Discovered Charles Uibel’s Instagram feed, Great Salt Lake Photography – amazing photos of Great Salt Lake, one of the most underrated beautiful places in the word!
- Started reading George Orwell’s 1984 since apparently everyone is doing it. It became the top selling book on Amazon last week and the publisher had to order an emergency printing to keep up with demand. I got the last copy at my local library. Weird.
- Followed Mike Wardian’s ridiculous seven marathons on seven continents in seven days challenge. He averaged 2:45 marathons seven days in a row not to mention traveling around the entire world in the process. Listen to his pre-7-7-7 interview at Ultra Runner Podcast.
- Only a few days left to support the revival of the A. Fisher Brewing Company in Salt Lake City. Cannot wait for this place to open!